About The Author
Austin Walker is the Assistant Director at the Lumen Christi Institute, and he is preparing a dissertation on Newman's political philosophy at the University of Chicago's Committee on Social Thought.
Newman as Complex and Influential: A Review of Eamon Duffy’s “John Henry Newman: A Very Brief History”
February 18, 2020
December 10, 2019
January 27, 2020
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to get notifications about new articles, events, and more.
- Revisiting the Threefold Office of Christ in the ChurchBy Richard GaillardetzOctober 22, 2020One of the most significant contributions of the Second Vatican Council lay in its appropriation of the tria munera—that is the threefold office of Christ as priest, prophet, and king—as an architectonic structure for reflection on the church. […]
- It is Better for Sun and Moon to Drop from HeavenBy David MillsSeptember 11, 2020It’s one of Newman’s most notorious lines, and a claim I for one wish were untrue:”The Catholic Church holds it better for the sun and moon to drop from heaven, for the earth to fail, and for all the many millions on it to die of starvation in extremest agony […]
- Newman, Probability, and TruthBy Stephen M. FieldsAugust 17, 2020The Grammar of Assent, published in 1870, represents Newman's last major work. As a religious epistemology, it provides systematically thought-through answers to questions that had preoccupied him since his early twenties […]
- Newman High: Some Notes on Newman for Secondary EducatorsBy John ThompsonAugust 11, 2020This month, many teachers like myself will be returning to our classrooms. It will be, like many things right now, challenging and uncertain. While some about our schools will be unfamiliar and new, much will remain the same. […]
- Enemy or Sacrament? Newman on Wealth and HolinessBy David Paul DeavelAugust 7, 2020Newman tended to talk about wealth and commerce in two ways: one prophetic and denunciatory, particularly of nations of shopkeepers, and one with applause—this is the nation of free enterprise. […]